Okay, I've had a very remarkable week and at last, it's time to tell you about it. At my scan read last week, the doctor said exactly what I thought his was going to say. The chemo isn't working.
For the last/"new" drug, I have to take these heavy steroids that I didn't have time for in order to get treatment last week. We agreed that I would take a week to decide about treatment. In the meanwhile, I'm getting radiation every day for the cancer that is on my coccyx, sacrum and all lumbar vertebrae. That is such a large field and they can't avoid my intestines. That means that I am unable to process food, I get 101 degree fevers after the treatments and I basically feel like the shit that isn't happening in my intestines.
Since the radiation actually does get rid of pain, I am going to endure two more weeks of it. They've lowered the dose and I took last Friday off. I got a pedicure! As for chemo..........I am no longer such a chemo cheerleader. It won't cure me. It will fry my nervous system even more than it already is. That means I will be more numb, farther up my legs, more numb in my hands. All of that for an extra month of life....but wait, that extra month will be filled with the nausea and muscle pain of the chemo and will profoundly effect the rest of my days. The consideration is: How do I want the rest of days to be? My answer is that I want to feel as good as I can.
I am excited to do the herbs and antioxidants without having to listen to the foreboding of the oncologists. "We want you to a little anemic." "We want your immune system to be weak." "We want you to be toxic. The toxicity is the chemo and that's what is killing the cancer." "Don't take extra vitamin C, it could get in the way of the chemo." It 's an upside down world when you are being held prisoner by doctors.
-
Now, as your minds chew on what I have said, remember that I am not choosing to die. I was not given the choice to have cancer or not.
-
As for work? I can't stand for hours on end anymore. I have to retire and that is a very hard thing for me to do. I will be referring people to Lisa and Leigh at Alchemy Salon 303-449-3033 -
If you are inclined to tell me about the clinics I should go to and the magic cures I should take. I thank you. I know there is so much love for me and hope for me to live, behind your offerings. Thank you. I love you too.
-
Anyway, if you want to be truly helpful with that. You need an education: There are so many different kinds of cancer: small cell, clear cell, adenocarcinoma, carcinoid tumor, squamous.... Those are just the types that I know about. Some of them grow fast, some of them grow slowly. They do have cures for some of them. A type of cancer can occur primarily on any organ. That becomes the kind of cancer that is being treated. I have small cell rectal cancer. After the primary cancer is figured out, then they look for metastasis (places where it has spread) this gives them the information to "stage" the cancer. When I was diagnosed, I had metastasis on my liver, lungs and the surface of my bones. I was and still am stage four(terminal).
-
Small cell is a fast growing cancer that usually occurs on the lungs. It's very rare for it to present in the rectum. Because of this, there are no studies being done on the kind of cancer that I have.
At this point, as long as I continue to choose to refrain from the last chemo drug, I will be doing everything that I have that supports my immune system: Gogi juice, Body balance, reishi mushrooms, astragalus, oregano, 9405, alpha lipoic acid, acidophiles. I'll be juicing every day and eating in my own healthful way. While I am in radiation, that food is mostly low fiber and well cooked, then I can get back to the marvelous harvest for this time of year!
I'm receiving acupuncture and reiki every week. I might get vitamin C drips. I don't know.
So, that's it. I'm sorry for bad news. Love, Lori
If you would like to leave a comment for Lori, click the "comment" link under each individual blog. Then, write your message and type in the funny letters that are there. Then choose Anonymous. That way, you don't have to give out your e-mail address, but be sure to sign your comment so that I know who you are. thanks
13 comments:
Lori,
I am so very sorry. I know that you will continue to live your life to the fullest for as long as you can. You are often in my thoughts, and I wish you many more good days.
Love, Laura
Yikes. I am sorry the "treatments" aren't going well. As you said, you didn't choose to have cancer. So, you make choices where you can...not where you have no control. Sounds to me like your current decision is right on. Hope your friend is still pursuing Penguin (I'm a little jealous). Don't forget to "publish" a little bit here for us to read. So, you've got a full deck now - - - and let's never forget the joker.
Evie, as always, sends her love too.
Alan - I've stopped using my last name because I'm one of a kind ;-)
P.S. To Lori's Love Tribe: Great Support! You're all wonderful!
Wow, was this ever hard to read and digest. You have all my love and support with whatever choice you make. I completely understand about you wanting to feel good rather than continue with more toxins, pain, and numbness.
Lori -
Wow. :( You are so amazingly strong - I admire your clarity. Love to you. Blessings to you.
Kate Frohlich
My sister,
Thank you for explaining everything so clearly. I'm sad, but I understand and support you in your decision. I'm also excited for you to "get well" from the cure and feel better.
We are going to have a great time this Thanksgiving and Christmas with Shonnanana and Jakey, and Steve and Sheila here for Christmas, too.
I love you,
Janna
Hey Lori,
I totally support you. You are full of life and love. Yes, doctors will go on and on as well as friends, strangers, and whoever else, on how to "cure" yourself. I am very familiar with it (Hannah, my brother). The truth is, cancer is cancer and Stage 4 is Stage 4. People will say "yeah, but..." "I know someone...", etc., etc., etc. Shit, girl. You've fought the big cancer fight...with determination, courage, and fear sometimes. You've cursed it and embraced it. Now it sounds like you have come to terms with it. That you are going to finish your life on your terms. Damn it. This is your body and your life, right? It sounds like you have decided to be you. I admire and love you. Peace baby girl.
Love, Pat
Just sending you some love, Lori. I am thinking about you and working on our story. It has come to life and gone in a different direction than I ever expected, but I hope you will love it.
-Magda G.
Lori, I'm going to try again. Yesterday I posted something but somehow it seems to have gotten to a different day's post. User error I'm sure. Here is what I wrote and I thought of you all day today!!
Dear Lori, It is sobering to read today's entry. You are in my thoughts every day and I keep tabs on you through our mutual spiritual friend and reiki goddess. This has been quite a journey and I am grateful to you for sharing these moments with us, including the bears in your tub. I agree with those in the tribe who say now is the time to publish, in whatever form is right for you. We want you to share your stories with us. Love and light, Hollis (my word verification is "trite"--how ironic, or maybe not...?)
Dearest Lori,
Wow....what craziness...all these side effects.
I love that you call it a "remarkable" week....INDEED!
I so completely respect all your choices...you have such an amazing presence in all your writing. DEFINITELY pursue publishing!!!!
And I wish for you to feel GOOD.
I've been out of town for 3+ weeks (most of that time away from a computer), but I think of you every day and send you love with all my heart.
Love you,
~Carolyn Meyer
Lori,
We are so sorry, as you know we are not the best in expressing our feelings in writing but we do support any choice you make. You are The Best, you were since we met you 19 years ago, through Magda's and Dorota's school and college patiently listening and calming me down.
Love Goska and Wojtek
Dearest Lori,
You have been a part of my family's collective memory for 19 fantastic years. {i have to admit i don't remember the first couple. after all, i was only two years old when it all started.} I still remember coming to the salon with Mom or Magda - it was like stepping into an alternate universe, one filled with peace and wonder. There was always beautiful jewelry with which I could play and in the air hung a scent of flowers and smoke. {To this day, the memory of that scent calms me down.} You always had a gift, not only for spreading joy, but also beauty by making people realize that they are beautiful in many myriad ways. You are in my thoughts and in my heart.
Sending all the good energy I have, dorota
dear lori,
you are on my mind and in my heart daily.
i send love.
debbie laner
love love love to you
grace
Post a Comment