Thursday, October 16, 2008

I LIke It Rare

This fourth round of chemo is going much better than the last. The nurses and I worked out an anti-nausea drug drip that seems to be working. It's a good thing, because my enthusiasm for chemo was getting a little wet.
I went to my last painting class yesterday. I started the class in early September. At that time, I had just shaved my head, so I schmoozed the shape of my bald head in to the center of the paper out of cheese cloth (for textue). As I added paint, I felt tears of joy come in to my eyes. I was so happy to be painting, happy that I had a way to express what was wordless. Looking at it at the end of class, someone pointed out that the head looked like itwas screaming. Yes, it probably was.......in August, I was dying.
But, as the painting progressed, my head relaxed back in to a mountain range and a goddess appeared in the upper right corner. The upper left corner turned in a fire breathing, or possibly laughing dragon. My painting seems alive. It seems to be illustrating the forces of good and evil, cancer and health, living and dying.......how uncertain it all is.
I think I am healing and walking in to a life that has a future, forever changed.
Forever aware of how rare and short life is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, you are doing absolutely wonderful things in your life. You have found and seen what some will never have the priviledge of knowing. God Bless you and the strength you send to all of us about living each day to the fullest.
Love you - Frank and Jennie

Alan said...

Hey sweetie, I drove by the new digs. How about posting a picture or two of the ongoing work?
Love ya!
Alan

David said...

Lori,
I would love to see your painting(s). I think of you often and look to see if your car is parked at your house each time I drive by. (((HUGS))) to you my dear....lots of (((HUGS))).
David

Cynthia Morris said...

Lori,
I love that you are painting and writing and as always expressing your abundant creative self. I wish I were there to hug you and see your paintings and sit in your chair and get your magical hairdo juju.
Luckily, I had another cut and now I like it. It looks good. Such a relief.
Sending lots of love from where I am at the moment, which is in Madrid appreciating life.
Next week I go to a writing retreat in France where I will secretly transform myself into an artist. I have a book project that I am super excited about. Sending the love!
Cynthia

If you would like to leave a comment for Lori, click the "comment" link under each individual blog. Then, write your message and type in the funny letters that are there. Then choose Anonymous. That way, you don't have to give out your e-mail address, but be sure to sign your comment so that I know who you are. thanks