Hi to all of my beloveds. At last, I have the time to get some information on here! As you may have learned by now, I was diagnosed with metastatic rectal cancer last week. I've gagged down radio active goo, had it shot in to my veins and been scanned from head to toe....more than once! At first, I was 50/50 - fighting one minute, dying the next. Yesterday, I got the first "good" news and I'll share it with you. I have small cell cancer ( rare, of course). This kind of cancer is agressive and grows really fast, but also responds to chemo really well. Dr Sitarik changed my protocol yesterday. I don't have to get a port and carry around a pump 48 hours at a time and I won't have to get radiation. Chemo starts on Monday, August 11 at 9:15 am. Not a moment too soon, I want this stuff out of my body!
I'll be at the Rocky Mountain Cancer Center for 6 or 7 hours on that day, so if you want to stop by,talk for a while and share the love, I welcome you. The next two days I'll be hooked up again, but only for 1 hour. The fouth day, I go back for a subcutaneous injection to boost my white blood cells. Supposedly, I will start feeling "bad" three days after: not sure if that's three days after the first day or the third day! I'll have the rest of that week off and then two more weeks off. I'll have six rounds like this. 16 weeks. After this first one, I'll know if I can work a few days in those two weeks in between. It's good to have things to do and people to be with.
My hair will probably fall out. I've got great hats and a nice little round head. Really, what's a little hair compared to saving my life? I've started doing a little yoga at home. It's in my bones though, so I'm very present and gentle with myself. Sometimes, I do 2 or 3 sun salutations and just lay on my mat in the morning sun and breathe. Life is good.
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you would like to leave a comment for Lori, click the "comment" link under each individual blog. Then, write your message and type in the funny letters that are there. Then choose Anonymous. That way, you don't have to give out your e-mail address, but be sure to sign your comment so that I know who you are. thanks
11 comments:
You make life good :)
Lori, I have one word for you! GINGER. (Not Fred...) Ginger will taste good and help in case nausea happens with the chemo. Yummy drink:
combine 3 cups of water with 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger. Bring to a boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and infuse for 15 minutes.
strain the ginger infused water. Add 1/4 cup local honey or pure maple syrup and stir until dissolved. Add 3/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, and six more cups of water.
I like to add a few frozen berries to the drink and why not the CANCER FIGHTERS: blueberries!
Ginger will help with nausea and with digestion so you can keep up the good weight.
You are continually in my thoughts.
Lori,
You are so awesome and brave. I will come to visit you to help you pass the time during your treatments.
You will be beautiful with your bald head, I know this because when I first MET you, you were bald. And who knew you would be growing your own "Locks of Love?" I would wager a bet that you are the first cancer patient planning to create a hairpiece out out her own beautiful hair! Life IS good:)
Love from your sister,
Janna
Lori,
I look forward to hanging out with you on this amazing journey. The last time we were together was at the Med for Craig's birthday dinner. Your luscious hugs and kisses still linger - yummmmy.
It will be a delight to witness your radiance transforming the Rocky Mountain Center while you are there for treatments. Places like that are always so appreciative of loving energy. So, if you are there, loving energy will be too.
The picture on the website is glorious - thank you!
For those of us with medical backgrounds we definitely appreciate the update so we won't have to ask you tons of questions or hear it thru the grapevine.
I'm certain the list of people wanting to assist and serve you is very long so I'm putting my request for a spot in early. I'm happy to give rides, visit , clean etc.
Lots of LOVE to you,
Grace
Lori,
I just want to tell you how much I love you! I will be here for you as much as you need! I want to bring you healing touch, as well as the laughter we have always shared. I know for a fact that laughter is great medicine! :)
Laura and I will both help you with cleaning and anything else you may need. Also keep a lot of little candies or suckers around, dad always had those after and sometimes during treatment.
My whole family sends their love and support. We are gonna fight this with you!
All my love,
Madgieroo!!!!!!!
Lori: You are fabulous and I am thinking of you constantly. I'm in touch with Alyson and Cynthia and we all send you LOVE and PATIENCE and a little ZEN mind for tomorrow. Breathe.........
Shelly
LORI-
HI WELL I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM THINKING OF YOU IN YOUR STRUGGLE AND PULLING FOR YOU. I KNOW YOU ARE TOUGH BECAUSE I WORKED FOR YOU FOR A YEAR. HANG IN THERE. I HAVE A CAR NOW SO IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO I WILL BE HAPPY TO DO IT. YOU DID SO MUCH FOR ME IN MY TIME OF STRUGGLE AND REBIRTH. I WILL KEEP UP WITH HOW YOU ARE DOING. TAKE CARE, FIND THE WONDER IN EACH DAY. LIZ
Hi Lori,
Our first day out of town, Paul lovingly called with the news of small cells... THANK GOD, and I KNOW that is anyone can dissolve this away... YOU CAN. Will see you soon when we arrive home.
xoxoxo,
Nancy and David
Hope you are feeling okay after yesterday's cocktail!!!!! I will be at your house Thursday morning at 9:30 sharp!
Hi Lori,
Was pointed your way by David. I want to wish you strength in your forthcoming fight against cancer, which will not be an easy process. I am part of the journalers' community on AOL, and will send people your way for support. Keep posting!
Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/
Dear Lori,
I hope you continue to feel well through the battle you are waging. I have faith you will win. You are not alone, you are in so many hearts and prayers. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do, cleaning, driving you, shopping, anything. Everything will be, "...all okay." I love you, Aunt Mazie
Post a Comment